Dental Exams & Cleanings in South Houston
Comprehensive Dental Exam
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by Dr. Espili at your initial dental visit. During regular check-up exams, your dental exam will include the following:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs) – X-rays are essential for accurate treatment planning in addition to the early detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss.
- Oral cancer and head and neck screening – This involves the visual and tactile checking of the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation – Dr. Espili will check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Screening for tooth decay – All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay.
- Examination of existing restorations – Current fillings, crowns, and other restorations in the mouth will be checked. Depending on the wear, a restoration may need to be updated or replaced.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings (also known as dental prophylaxis, full mouth debridement, or deep cleaning) are performed by a dentist or dental hygienist, depending on the type of cleaning the patient needs. In most cases, a professional dental cleaning may be performed on the same day as the dental exam. The cleaning process includes the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Tartar is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth is firmly attached to the tooth surface. Tartar forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments by a dentist.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation can lead to early periodontal disease if left untreated!
- Teeth polishing: Teeth polishing helps remove stains and plaque that are not otherwise removed during regular tooth brushing and scaling.
If it’s almost time for your regular dental exam and cleaning, book an appointment with Dr. Espili today!